Get the Most Out of Your Volunteering Experience
On October 24th, the TanenbaumCHAT community came together to celebrate our students’ excellence and achievements. Throughout the evening, it was evident that we are not only raising an academically strong group of learners, but also the next generation of caring and compassionate community leaders, as we had over 22 students receiving the Tikkun Olam Award. Each one of those students had performed over 100 hours of community service in one year at TanenbaumCHAT; an amazing accomplishment, given all the other demands in their school and personal lives.
Here are 5 ways to make volunteering a great experience:
1. Start early in the year to maximize the time you have without any last minute pressure. Familiarize yourself with the guidelines to avoid disappointment.
2. Find something you are enthusiastic about and follow your passion. It is important that you enjoy what you are doing so that you will continue doing it.
3. Speak with friends with whom you share a common interest. Volunteering is much more enjoyable if you do it together with likeminded friends.
4. Plan ahead and contact the organization for details about the volunteering position. Also, check your calendar to make sure the timing doesn’t conflict with your personal or school work.
5. Above all, remember that you are making a difference in your community and those who you are assisting appreciate it more than you can imagine. Without volunteers, many non-profit organizations could not accomplish the great work they set out to do.
Get involved and be proud of your contributions as you help repair the world one act of kindness at a time.
Soheila Sabeti is the Community Service Coordinator at TanenbaumCHAT. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org